Service Times

Service Times

Each Sunday

8.30 am
:
Holy Communion

11.00 am:
1st Sunday Holy Communion
2nd Sunday Morning Prayer
3rd Sunday Holy Communion
4th Sunday Service of The Word - Family Service
5th Sunday Morning Prayer

Christmas Sing Along

Christmas Sing Along

Sunday, 14 October 2007

Repair Fund Appeal



















We are very proud that our church and the
adjoining tower are an important part of the heritage of Tallaght. There was a monastery in this place from the ninth to the twelfth century. The tower dates from the Middle Ages and the present church was built in 1829, designed by the noted architect, John Semple. While the principal purpose is the worship of Almighty God, we try to make the building a focal point for the community. The graveyard is the burial place for very many Tallaght families. The church is a venue for concerts of classical music and is used by the Institute of Technology for the awarding of their business prizes. The parish hall is used as a drop-in centre for refugees and for other voluntary groups.


Such a rich heritage brings with it the obligation of stewardship for future generations. We have recently had to carry out extensive essential repairs to protect the fabric of the chuch and tower. These were executed by Skyline Ltd., under the supervision of architect, Stuart Hamilton, and the Conservation Officer of South Dublin County Council. We were very pleased to be awarded the Environmental Award in the Tallaght Person of the Year ceremony for this work. The graveyard with its mature trees is a green oasis in the heart of Tallaght.

The total cost of the work was € 83,000. We received a grant of € 25,000 from South Dublin County Council and a grant of € 10,000 from the Heritage Council. The remaining € 50,000 of the cost will have to be raised from our own small congregation and from well wishers in the community, people who value the ancient heritage of our area.

Will you help us to preserve this valuable part of the history of Tallaght?

All donations will be gratefully received and acknowledged.

If you would like to know more about the church and the tower and the work which has been carried out, please contact:


Rev. William Deverell,
6 Sally Park, Firhouse Road, Dublin 24.
Tel: 01 462 1044

or

Ronnie Wallace,
32 Cypress Grove Road, Dublin 6W.
Tel: 01 490 3111

or

St. Maelruain's Parish Office,
Main Street, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
Tel: 01 462 6006